Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ceramics

My first anniversary is coming up: 1 year of making ceramics!!! And I have always wondered, why we (as in my teachers, my fellow students, and I) call it "ceramics" and not "pottery"? I haven't dared to ask my teachers... yet!

To me, it just sounds more "handy" - and maybe that is even the wrong word. Maybe making "ceramics" is just different than doing "pottery". The word "pottery" reminds me of old world works, or even other crafts, such as knitting, crocheting, beading, etc. whereas "ceramics" is more like woodworking, glass blowing, etc. And I don't mean neither one in a bad or low way. I think it all has its place in the world and people like to do different things. Correct me if I'm wrong, please!

Looking both words up on Wikipedia, it seems to me though, that "pottery" is actually a better term for "making ceramics" ;) whereas the term "ceramics" includes much more than just making "pottery" out of clay. Ceramics seems to be more "artsy" maybe, whereas pottery seems to be more functional?

I'm still confused...

1 comment: